Beginner Rides or Skills Development Sessions are for those that are just getting into mountain bike riding and want to explore mountain bike riding a little bit more and meet other riders of similar ability. These are no pressure, ride at your own pace outings for all abilities designed to introduce and expand your joy of mountain bike riding and explore trails on the Gold Coast and surrounding region.
Beginner Social rides are generally held throughout the month and cover anywhere between 10 to 20 km of trails, with a little bit of climbing and descending involved depending on the level of Beginner ride. Alternatively Beginner Events may and often do incorporate Skills Development Sessions held by accredited MTBA Coaches to help you develop your core mountain bike skills even further.
Skills sessions are designed to help take beginner riders to an intermediate level of riding ability so that they can confidently ride the blue trails of Nerang. Core skills that are covered in the Skills Development Sessions include:
- Correct riding position;
- Cornering on flat terrain and through berms;
- Low speed maneuvering and Track Stands;
- Basic climbing and descending;
- Front wheel lifts.
Although the club does from time to time hold sessions to cover more advanced riding skills riders seeking to gain coaching beyond the core skills areas can obtain private or small group coaching from one of the Club Coaches.
To join us on these rides there are a few things you’ll need to have and be able to do:
- Have a serviceable bike capable of riding safely off road;
- Wear safety gear which must as a minimum include a helmet;
- Bring sufficient water for the ride;
- Bring photo ID and evidence of your MTBA Membership (trial memberships are available – and don’t forget to choose GCMTB as your club!); and
- Riders need to be older than 3 years of age and able to competently handle a bike.